Novalja is a famous tourist city in Lika-Senj county in Croatia. It is situated in a bay on the west coast of the island of Pag. Novalja area was inhabited since ancient times, as testified by the numerous remains of the Illyrian tribes and the Romans. The village was established in the area of the ancient Roman town of Cissa which was the seat of the ancient Christian diocese. Among the best preserved archaeological sites are three early Christian basilicas from the 4th and 5th century and interesting area of Caska where was found an ancient aqueduct that fed Novalja with water from Novalja field.
Today Novalja is a modern tourist town with approximately 3,500 inhabitants, which attracts visitors of all ages and from all parts of the world. The friendly locals except for fishing and olive cultivation offer comfortable accommodation in apartments, rooms and holiday homes within their private family houses. Tourism in Novalja is rapidly developing in the last fifteen years, mostly thanks to nearby Zrće, beautiful long pebble beach on which was built four discos and numerous other entertainment facilities. Zrće became a world famous tourist and entertainment attraction and inevitable destination for young people from around the world. Novalja is an ideal destination for families with children because it offers plenty of beautiful natural beaches with clean sea water and excellent access to the sea. All lovers of nature and active holidays can explore hidden beauties of the island by bicycle, and its underwater world with experienced divers from several active diving centers. If you are a fan of adrenaline and water sports, then Zrce is right destination for you, where is offered wakeboarding, bungee jumping, Flyboarding, parasailing …
The gastronomic offer includes very healthy Mediterranean cuisine in numerous restaurants and taverns, so do not miss to taste specialties such as Pag cheese, lamb, macaroni on the needle, strudel, cottage cheese, fish soup, stew, salads, seafood risottos and boiled or grilled fish. From various trips to the surroundings of Novalja, we recommend visiting Lun and its ancient olive trees, Stara Novalja and Planjka, one of the most beautiful beaches on the island of Pag. Visit Novalja, rich and diverse place where you will enjoy all the delights it offers you this beautiful island of Pag. Welcome to Novalja!
WHAT TO VISIT WHEN IN NOVALjA
– Old Novalja North of Novalja, in a warm bay set deeply inland, lies Old Novalja. At the southeast end of the bay lies the Planjka (Trinćel) beach, one of the most beautiful and best-kept beaches, where you can have fun and cool off during the hot summer days. You can find the cool of evening while taking a long walk down the promenade. There are several diving clubs in Old Novalja and we say that divers open and close the season here. You can find rooms and apartments in private homes with welcoming hosts.
– Gajac Gajac is a tourist/residential village 2,5 km south of Novalja. Outside the summer season, there are less than 100 permanent residents here, but during the summer it turns into a real town of about 10,000 people. Along the coast is the long, sandy beach of Braničevica that faces the open sea. Aside from cooling off in the sea, we offer good facilities close to the beach and more in the town centre. If you like the crowds, Gajac is the place to go. Bus lines connect Gajac and Novalja all year round.
– Ancient Aqueduct – Talijanova buža The greatest treasure is our unique ancient aqueduct from the 1st century, carved out of solid rock. This one-of-a-kind Roman aqueduct, popularly known as Talijanova buža, supplied Novalja with water from the Novalja fields. The aqueduct is 1.2 km long, with a width ranging from 60 to 70 cm and 9 surface or air openings, which can be up to 40 m in height. The entrance to this town water supply system is located inside the Town Museum, which boasts some of Novalja’s cultural and ethnological heritage.
– The Pag salt Salt is the white gold of the town of Pagbeing produced for a thousand years. The Pag salines are one of the oldest salines with the most intensive production on the Croatian coast. The traditional way of producing salt via natural evaporation was abandoned 25 years ago when the salt factory was built that today harvests over 2 million m2 and, together with its warehouses and factories, make up the largest manufacturing plant in Croatia.
– Pag Cheese and Sheep Fair The Town of Novalja and the Sheep Breeders’ Association have launched an event called the Pag Cheese and Sheep Fair, which was assigned the task of promoting the sheep and cheese through tourism, while at the same time enhancing the development of animal husbandry in Pag using scientific approaches. It takes place every year on the first weekend of July and includes an evaluation of the quality of the cheese and of the best collections of sheep and rams. In addition, there are conferences on topics related to improving the quality of sheep, cheese and meat. Regular topics are related to the future of the sheep on the island, the introduction of new standards in the production of cheese, etc.
How To Get Here
Arrival by car
Although it’s an island destination, you can get to Novalja from the mainland via the Pag Bridge, which connects the south side of the island of Pag to the nearest town of Zadar.
Arrival by boat
The Prizna-Žigljen ferry line connects Novalja to the mainland, while a catamaran line connects Novalja to the neighbouring island of Rab and the city of Rijeka. The passenger boat “Maslina” connects Lun (17 km away from Novalja) with the neighboring island of Rab.
Arrival by bus
Novalja has excellent transportation connections with all the major cities (Zagreb, Rijeka, Zadar, Split), from which you can reach all European destinations.
Check in 16:00-22:00
Check out 07:00-11:00
We offer a special discount for groups (up to 18 people in 4 apartments).
03.07.2023 – 06.07.2023 |
EDM, Goa, House
Line-Up to be announced
08.07.2023 – 14.07.2023 | Zrće
TOP Festival & TOP Lineup
Curbi, Plastik Funk, YouNotUs
15.07.2023 – 22.07.2023 | Zrće
Zrce Fans aus Österreich
Finch, Raf Camora, Harris & Ford, RAN-D & mehr
15.07.2023 – 21.07.2023 | Zrće
Hochsaison & Top Line-up
Tujamo, Rudeejay, more TBA
24.07.2023 – 27.07.2023 | Zrće
Das Day&Night ist zurück – größer und lauter!
Vini Vici, Tujamo, Marten Hørger
29.07.2023 – 05.08.2023 | Zrće
Zrce Fans aus Bayern
Knossi, Isi Glück, HBz, Jamule & mehr
29.07.2023 – 04.08.2023 | Zrće
05.08.2023 – 11.08.2023 | Zrće
06.08.2023 – 10.08.2023 | Zrće
06.08.2023 – 10.08.2023 | Zrće
Barrakud is back!
James Hype, Hugel, Wade
14.08.2023 – 17.08.2023 | Zrće
DJ Antoine, more TBA
20.08.2023 – 24.08.2023 | Zrće
20.08.2023 – 24.08.2023 | Zrće
TOP Festival + Techno + TOP Line-up
Artbat, Pan-Pot, Sven Väth & mehr
26.08.2023 – 02.09.2023 | Zrće
18.05.2023 – 21.05.2023 | Zrće
The Original Opening
Alle Farben, Gestört Aber Geil & Lari Luke
26.05.2023 – 29.05.2023 | Zrće
No. 1 Spring Break
Nervo, Tujamo & Plastik Funk
03.06.2023 – 10.06.2023 | Zrće
Wohne zusammen mit deinen Lieblings-DJ’s
Mike Williams, Fabian Farell, Luke Miller and many more
08.06.2023 – 10.06.2023 | Zrće
Das letzte Spring Break Event in der Saison 2023
Mike Williams, Mike Candys, more TBA
25.06.2023 – 29.06.2023 | Zrće
Saison Highlight & TOP Lineup
Honey Dijon, Sonny Fodera, Chase & Status and many more